Friday, March 14, 2008

Native American

What blood flows through these veins? My mother's native source? My father's anglo flow? I am not aware. I know not race. I do not believe. I refuse. It does not exist. Only culture, only teaching and tradition tells us "who we are" or "who we are supposed to be". Our bodies built by the environment and thousands of years of genetic improvement and specialization to best fit our piece of this planet. I do not see your skin, your hair, your language. I see your eyes. I see the truth. What a falsehood the world has been under. What a lie we have purchased with the lives of generations trying to define our differences instead of recognizing our similarities. I give it away. I do not associate. It does not exist. I respect and truly appreciate the cultures of all peoples. I do not take a stand to say one is above another, there is simply wonderful variety. I know my bloodline's history, art and music. It is rich and beautiful, proud and strong, even ugly and twisted at times, I am happy to share it with you. Nevertheless, I don't run and hide in it for my defense. I don't believe in heritage when it takes the face of some unnecessary and stubborn, prideful nationalism. I believe in it when it provides an exchange of ideas and the beautiful art and culture of a people that has developed over time. I will not be a champion for narrow minded pride. I am the full realization of a person that does not acknowledge race, only truth. All this trouble is a matter of technology moving faster than nature. People getting ahead of themselves. In ancient history, the people could not travel far enough, without great difficulty, to even see people of another race. Specialties, cultures, religions, government systems, philosophy developed separately. Then we started building the vehicle of the modern world and we begin pounding on each other's door. Your ways are flawed. Adopt my dogma or be overrun! Wars and borders, refugees, defensive pride, flags, dividing lines, blindness, economic pressure, hate and pain, loss of life, whole cultures destroyed, rise of superpowers, weapons of mass destruction, lies and disinformation, government deceptions, genocide, fear, global police, terror, religious fanatics, assassinations, escalation. Fast forward to this moment, technology in high speed once again. Taking us faster and faster to a place where we can understand each other. Is this nature fixing itself finally? Setting things right? Are we ready for this idea? A global community. We stand on the precipice of major change and we're rapidly becoming aware of it. Can we survive the transition? Will this new age, the new world order, the next age, the brave new world survive the fear of change? Is this a nightmare of neo-liberal globalization? Will this movement cause the world to fall under the spell of smokescreen Utopia, a great and powerful deception with promises of unity, but tainted by blindly accepted totalitarian control in the name of peace and security? Are we strong enough to know the difference? Will we survive with our integrity intact? Yes. Yes. We must say "yes!" with anabashed fervor. Trust in love and let it see us through. We are the realization of the things we believe. Let us believe in the triumph of love over fear.

No comments: