Saturday, November 8, 2008

Elephants and Rock-n-Roll

Something about her...what was it? I knew from the instant I met her that we would have a story. I didn't know it would be so tragic at the end, I didn't know it would be so amazing and adventurous. I'll never forget meeting her. I remember coming around that corner in your parent's house, and seeing you just chillin' in a hoodie and probably shaking off a hangover. I was immediately attracted. Months went by and I saw you again when my travels brought me your way, both of us involved and only able to politely exchange glances that seemed to ignite something in us. We came to life on a dark night in Oxford, OH. I held your hand, you held mine. We drank too much, we talked all night, we snuck around that house after everyone was sleeping. You came to my bed and laid with me and we gently fell asleep. Awake! You dash away and I lay puzzled with myself, happy with a connection, stressed over the enormity of the feelings that were inevitably going to overcome me. A hug, a goodbye. An email or two. What to do? You came to North Carolina and we were together again for more nights in the bars, travelling with the band, sleeping in another random bedroom together again, drinking again. Neither of us wanted to stop it. You listened, you talked. We laughed and I found myself determined to let this be, despite the hardship it invited. One more show before you had to go. I ask if I can kiss you and you say no. I accept it and play my heart out on stage. You change your mind. A text message. An elevator. Our kiss. We own the moment. And on to the reality. My marriage ends. You leave your beau. We clear the way for love. My life takes one of it biggest turns, I leave it all behind. The New Year. Hardship and bliss balance themselves. Your arms greet me so completely when we see each other over the next few months. All I need. You moved to me. We travel everywhere. I wasn't sure I wanted to live together, but I couldn't see not being near you either. The sliver enters. We make the most of our life, and you hung in with me through a number of difficulties in my life. You were my partner in my work. Warm and comforting in the worst of times. Thank you. Smothering and overly needy in the good times. I couldn't breathe when the spring peaked its head around that corner. I told you I needed space. I loved you like no other. I tried to be honest. I didn't want to lose you. Jealousy. Miscommunication. Misunderstanding. You were weak. My body shuddered. You weren't there. Lies exposed. You're leaving, there is another. Broken. The stars hang over the street and you tell me it's over. Pain, the kind only time can heal. Your sweet smile and loving embrace became something ugly and terrible. We sputter and die. I almost didn't survive, but I did, I grew ever stronger. I let these trials pass and come to understand them. True colors arise. I am whole and you are my friend even if you hurt me so. Another triumph of forgiveness and time, of love and patience. You are well on your way down a different path and I wish you well. We are forever a part of each other's story.

No comments: