Thursday, April 3, 2008

Songwriting is like being a pirate!

Creativity is such a mysterious force. Sometimes in my life I just can't stop making shit and writing shit and saying shit. I sit with the guitar for hours and pen a thousand words. I draw or make some strange creation that serves no practical purpose, but seems to add to my experience or balance out the equation. It's sort of like creating tangible proof that...yes, my soul was here! A sort of graffiti from the other side. I suppose our ethereal side is always being trodden on by our day to day activities of mundane existence and I'm certain it's a healthy thing to let it have its way with us. What a tradgedy I see in the majority of people who deny its presence and cap off its healing. It's the very best and serves us so sweetly when we don't put any reins on it. Yes, that's it. The Divine. Art is just life, breathing, coming and going. Our creativity is a crude display of our own beauty at best. The closest we can hope to get to right, is when we just let it flow from us in the way it wishes to. Joy looks and sounds this way. Loss like that. Togetherness writes these words and reproach says this. We can be the windsock for our own emotional cleansing and understanding. To share. And though we inevitably damage it as it passes through us, we should hope to do as little as possible to disturb its need for release. Listen and let it be. Then we are in line. Then we are made strong.

No comments: