Tuesday, February 26, 2008

Emotional Armor

I was born wide open to this world. To the opinions and the weight of all these people's emotional baggage. Sharing the load. Years later I'm just now fighting to keep from building up a callous layer to protect myself. Should I convince myself to only carry the loads that seem wise to invest in? I don't think it's right to deny pure emotion. Even now as I write this I'm debating. What's the value of being brought down by mild disappointment? Are we supposed to learn how to brush off the trouble brought when others let us down? On the other hand, are we suppose to feel it right down to the marrow, to know it, to own it and move past it? It seems as though the latter is the righteous path but the first is the wise one. When righteousness conflicts wisdom, which path is to be chosen? Wisdom is the culmination of learning but it is limited to human understanding and personal experience...where wisdom can only go so far, righteousness is the sublime infinite. When we are born, we don't question suffering, we just suffer and survive. We are born perfect and then slowly learn to be wise throughout our lives. When we seem to be getting to the point where we know how to treat each other in our elderly years, our time on this Earth is gone. Love and forgiveness is both righteous and wise, and so that is the path I will choose. To suffer this wound and to forgive and forget it too.

No comments: