Friday, January 23, 2009

And the winner is...

What is competition? Are we supposed to view life as a battle to be fought, a war to wage, a championship to win? Outlast, out-think, out-manuver and overcome. I think these are fair questions that are not easily dismissed with definates. I wish to see the big picture on this idea. Where there is improvement and acomplishment in competetiveness, there is also dangerous pride and a ranking of worth based on limited factors. If we don't engage in the very natural practice of competition, are we negating an essential part of what it means to be human? Or, by eleminating the competetive spirit, are we not evoving as a species and in fact, helping to define the very thing that seperates us from the animals by choosing rational over instinct? There is an ever present plethora of competitions and competitors for us to engage with, from our work place, the daily commute, social status, etc. Every hobby has contests. Everyone fighting for the highest rank they can achieve in each. Clawing and scratching with razors sharp skills keenly aware of their goals, or fumbling blindly and chasing a dangling carrot. Each of us are in the game. Even art! We allow our art to be judged, to be catagorized and homoginized and legitimized by experts or by the masses or by computer generated score cards. I am torn on the idea. I want to reject the idea that I have to compete to be of any value. I feel the truth there about our feet. But I move, I speak, I have ideas and share them, I create. I am, therefore I compete. It's peace with my own place that is troubling. That I have more, am more and can be more than others. That I defeat others without a sound. I am a conquorer, but have no desire to harm another living soul or surpress them in any way. I too am defeated, I feel the cleats of climbers with my shoulders as stepping stones. I give way. I succumb. Some of them come with purpose, some with anger, some with indifference and still some bring a humble and benevolent quality and I support without remorse. This is the competitor I must strive to be. The humble. The thankful. The strong and hard working, but not prideful. We each have our goals, we each are involved if we wake in the morning and go out into the world. Let us love each other and ourselves in our competition. Let us not fight, but grow and evolve, overcome and acomplish. Let us help others find their way and let ourselves be found as well. We can't give up, it's not going to happen, so let's work together in our struggles and find the way to appreciate every step we take. Here is the big picture, we win by finding this peace, we win our souls and our place in a difficult world.

No comments: